"Voytek Eymont" <li...@sbt.net.au> writes:

> I have a Centos 5x system with RRDTool 1.2x as in
>
> # ls
> bin  include  lib  share
> # pwd
> /usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.27
>
> I want to use this on another Centos 5x, do I need to copy anything else
> beside recursive /usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.27?

Maybe.  That setup /looks/ like a complete install of rrdtool under that path,
but unless you actually know that there is no assurance it is true.

> or is it a 'bad idea' to copy from one system?

Generally, maybe.  Technically, no, it should work fine by and large.  You
might run into issues having to get older versions of libraries that the
binary depends on, and if the glibc versions are far enough apart their could
be trouble, but it *should* work.

However, outside the strictly technical you are probably inviting even *more*
effort and suffering later using a hand-managed version of that package.

> (I've setup a Centos 5 to run Cacti on Celeron 1.7GHz, but, it seems to
> really struggle, maxing to 100% (guess it wants arithemetic processor that
> Celeron doesn't have ?);

It sure does.  Whatever the problem was, it wasn't that.  (Probably just that
Cacti needs more CPU than it could get, possibly just in sudden bursts. :)

> so, I found a P4, and, setup Cacti, that was better, till yum update updated
> RRDTool from 1.2 to 1.4, now, cacti web page load really lags, hence I
> thought I'll backgrade to RRDTool 1.2)

That will not help unless you rebuild Cacti to use the older version of
RRDTool.  (Also, are you /sure/ it is RRDTool and not something else in the
Cacti stack that causes the performance problems?  RRDTool is crazy-efficient,
so I wouldn't pick it as the first point to suspect.  OTOH, if you measured it
and found it was the cause then you measured it and all. :)

Regards,
        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707