On Sat, September 18, 2010 3:37 pm, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> "Voytek Eymont" <li...@sbt.net.au> writes:

>> I want to use this on another Centos 5x, do I need to copy anything
>> else beside recursive /usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.27?
>
> Maybe.  That setup /looks/ like a complete install of rrdtool under that
> path, but unless you actually know that there is no assurance it is true.
>
>> or is it a 'bad idea' to copy from one system?
>
> Generally, maybe.  Technically, no, it should work fine by and large.
> You
> might run into issues having to get older versions of libraries that the
> binary depends on, and if the glibc versions are far enough apart their
> could be trouble, but it *should* work.
>
> However, outside the strictly technical you are probably inviting even
> *more*
> effort and suffering later using a hand-managed version of that package.

yes, it wasn't the best idea, just as you've hinted:

even though both system are 'same' Centos, they obviously differ somewhat,
source install that worked on the old box didn't on the new one, when I
attempted to install the missing dependency, it complained about another,
at that point I decide that 30 seconds to wait for web page too load might
be a better option at this point.

--
Voytek