Hi

There are other certification bodies such as LPI. The course are cheaper and done through tafe I think.

You may get more mileage with experience rather than courses. Try to get as much hands on as possible by volunteering, being mentored, talking. Chat to your local friendly sysadmin :-)

Having a development background and experience is always a plus. Don't discount it.

Some organisations will train you up once you join especially when you are cross training eg going from solaris to RH

That being said <puts his own RHCE hat on>, they are generally very good hands on courses. just make sure you match you ability to the pace of the cource. Even if you get the *NEW* Redhat Certified Systems Administrator replaces RHCT, you can at least say your certified

HTH