There is also a possibility that somehow the screen resolution has been set to something that is way outside of its capabilities. If you can get any picture on any monitor, then set everything back to 640x480 256 colours.
Then work your way up from there.

I've also had a faulty laptop screen. Closing the lid and opening it again a few times restored the screen. Not a long term solution but at least you may can get it going again for a short time if you need to do anything.

Ben