On 06/12/12 19:13, Ben Donohue wrote:

... If you can get any picture on any monitor, then set everything back to
640x480 256 colours.

Good thought, but it didn't help.

... Closing the lid and opening it
again a few times restored the screen. ...

I don't think that is going to help as the system seems to know when the lid is open, as the back-light comes on (it goes off when I close the lid).

Reviews of low cost (under $500) 11 to 13 inch laptops and Chromebooks would be welcome.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/