I had the same on an old laptop...

I closed the lid, pressed a few times on the lid, gently but firmly, then opened the lid again. Sometimes this worked and I got a screen up. Otherwise I plugged in an external screen and used it that way. I needed it going a little more before I put it out to pasture. However giving it a push and a shove, closing/opening etc got it going again. Depends if you are going to throw it... may as well get physical with it a bit. It might just work. After losing the screen the same as you have.. no screen but back-lit... after giving it a hit or three it has been working ever since!

Ben