using ms4 and if I was a granny and hit a power button I'd think I just
switched off the phone, not suspend. If I hit it again I'd think that
I'd powered it on again, not resume.

a "grannie" would be able to kill herself with a spoon ...
everything above a kitchen knive requires understanding how the device works, which means reading soem kind of documentation before use -- if the device does not work as expected, it's usually a matter of pebkac. especially for a device with so limited a number of physical input elements it should be perfectly clear to any user that the two buttons have more than a simple on/off function but a broad number depending upon the situation.

it might be an option (as usual) to make the behaviour of the pwr button configurable:
a) do only on/off
b) do suspend/resume and on/off
c) expose a menu to select the desired action

a) would be for what you call "grannies"
b) for those preferring fast and minmal inavise action
c) for the rest

focusing solely on the (imho hardly likely) group of "grannies" would ostracize the number of users willing to use and looking for a more advanced device not tied up in the conventional paradigms of user interaction. building smartphones for "grannies" is a task a lot of companies aspire -- and i doupt openmoko would be able to survive! have a look at palm: they basically abandoned palmos in favour of wince -- and their phones a re to expansive and too bad to cope with stuff from htc or so, they left their niche and found no other ...