[Replying to the list, I assume the personal rely was not intentional]

Hi Michele,

Am Donnerstag, den 29.01.2009, 16:57 +0100 schrieb Michele Renda:
> Yes, I think you are right. Because I use the PyXFCE library, I have to
> take attention on it.
>
> I would know something: if I use a lib like PyXFCE  and we suppose it is
> GPL2 without any later version clause.
>
> My program is in Python, it doen't need to be compiled, and PyXFCE are
> installed by an external DEB package.
>
> I am vincolated to PyXFCE licence? (it is just a curiosity).

You are not violating it, because you are not distributing it. But the
GPL3 license for your program that you give us (the community, the
distributors) can not be fulfilled, so anyone else distributing your
program  would be violating PyXFCE’s or your license (not sure which,
but either way it is bad).

The issue is that your program is linked with PyXFCE, not in the
C-compiler-technical sense, but it’s the same seamantics: Your program
does not work without PyXFCE. So the GPL2 license of PyXFCE requires
that the whole work is available under the GPL2 terms, while your GPL3
license requires that the whole work is available under the terms of the
GPL3. And because the terms differ, this is not possible.

> Another question: what do you (plural) would choose between GPL2 and
> GPL3? (only to know general idea about this)

Unless you have good reasons (e.g. using a library that is GPL3 only, or
a genuine preference for GPL3) I’d take „GPL2 or any later version“ to
avoid trouble. Or just use a permissive license such as BSD and never
worry again :-)

Greetings,
Joachim

--