I kept wondering what the "ILLUME" window was for (at startup, using
e17, I get two windows: "ILLUME" and "zhone").  Recently I saw that it's
probably meant to be some kind of application launcher.

What could I have done wrong which would cause this window to be empty:
no icon whatsoever, although I do have applications installed
(TangoGPS, MokoMaze, Emacs, ...) and /usr/share/applications does
contain the necessary info (and I indeed see most of those applications
in the "launcher menu" which I've added to the shelf).

        Stefan