Joachim Breitner <nome...@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 12.05.2009, 01:53 -0400 schrieb John Sullivan:
>> > I kept wondering what the "ILLUME" window was for (at startup, using
>> > e17, I get two windows: "ILLUME" and "zhone").  Recently I saw that it's
>> > probably meant to be some kind of application launcher.
>> >
>> > What could I have done wrong which would cause this window to be empty:
>> > no icon whatsoever, although I do have applications installed
>> > (TangoGPS, MokoMaze, Emacs, ...) and /usr/share/applications does
>> > contain the necessary info (and I indeed see most of those applications
>> > in the "launcher menu" which I've added to the shelf).
>>
>> I don't know what's stopping this from getting fixed, but it's been a
>> known issue for a long time.
>>
>> Basically, the files in /usr/share/applications need to be in either
>> category Application or Applications (can't remember which offhand) and
>> they tend to not be in the right one by default.
>>
>> Also you need the illume.desktop menu file installed in the etc xdg
>> menus dir.
>
> I didn’t look the details, but keep in mind that the e17 package and
> most application packages in Debian are used unmodified on the Desktop,
> so can’t contian changes that only make sense on the FreeRunner and
> cause problems otherwise.

I'm building e17 from source, but AIUI this has also been a problem for
SHR and others. Maybe it's been fixed there, you're right that I'm
talking a little off the cuff here having not looked at the problem
seriously for a while. It's on my list of things to check out. I'm a DM
working toward DD so I'm definitely interested in helping get the Debian
setup working smoothly.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://wjsullivan.net