Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> I kept wondering what the "ILLUME" window was for (at startup, using
> e17, I get two windows: "ILLUME" and "zhone").  Recently I saw that it's
> probably meant to be some kind of application launcher.
>
> What could I have done wrong which would cause this window to be empty:
> no icon whatsoever, although I do have applications installed
> (TangoGPS, MokoMaze, Emacs, ...) and /usr/share/applications does
> contain the necessary info (and I indeed see most of those applications
> in the "launcher menu" which I've added to the shelf).

I don't know what's stopping this from getting fixed, but it's been a
known issue for a long time.

Basically, the files in /usr/share/applications need to be in either
category Application or Applications (can't remember which offhand) and
they tend to not be in the right one by default.

Also you need the illume.desktop menu file installed in the etc xdg
menus dir.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://wjsullivan.net