Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 12.05.2009, 01:53 -0400 schrieb John Sullivan:
> > I kept wondering what the "ILLUME" window was for (at startup, using
> > e17, I get two windows: "ILLUME" and "zhone").  Recently I saw that it's
> > probably meant to be some kind of application launcher.
> >
> > What could I have done wrong which would cause this window to be empty:
> > no icon whatsoever, although I do have applications installed
> > (TangoGPS, MokoMaze, Emacs, ...) and /usr/share/applications does
> > contain the necessary info (and I indeed see most of those applications
> > in the "launcher menu" which I've added to the shelf).
>
> I don't know what's stopping this from getting fixed, but it's been a
> known issue for a long time.
>
> Basically, the files in /usr/share/applications need to be in either
> category Application or Applications (can't remember which offhand) and
> they tend to not be in the right one by default.
>
> Also you need the illume.desktop menu file installed in the etc xdg
> menus dir.

I didn’t look the details, but keep in mind that the e17 package and
most application packages in Debian are used unmodified on the Desktop,
so can’t contian changes that only make sense on the FreeRunner and
cause problems otherwise.

If, with that in mind, you know a clean way to fix this you are welcome
to talk to the people in charge. Illume is part of e17, so
pkg-e-de...@lists.alioth.debian.org is the right place to talk about
that.

It might be an option to patch Illume on Debian to behave a bit
different with regard to application categories, e.g. drop the
requirement for the Application category, but all with Terminal=True or
similar.

Any help is appreciated.

Greetings,
Joachim