Which is all beside the point.  The point is that the taxpayers of NYC were footing the bill for the rent of a man who could obviously afford to pay his own rent.  He was feeding wild animals for Pete's sake.  Probably the food bill for the tiger alone would pay a very large portion of rent in a normal priced city.  I would imagine feeding a tiger would take several hundred dollars a month.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Angela
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 9:54 PM
To: The Sandbox Discussion List
Subject: RE: [Sndbox] Man Kept Tiger In Public Housing

Well I know when Neil and I first got married and moved out on our own, he was only working at Hardee's and making probably $13,000 a year. Our rent per month was $300 along with electric and phone. With all that we were bringing in less per month than what was going back out. We also had a POS escort that was falling apart. As much as I didnt want to do it I went and got food stamps. We were getting quite a bit but I still used them carefully and made them last the whole month. About a month before Neil switched jobs (which would have ruined us on them anyway) we had to buy a new car b/c our old one died. They totally cut off all of them b/c they said if we could afford a new car (not that we could, just had to have it and got the cheapest, most reliable we could find) then we could afford to buy food. Now as I said, it wasnt that big a deal b/c right after that he got a new job which I was just waiting for him to get so we could go off them anyway. But with 2 kids, you had to be making less than $25,000 a year and your car could be worth no more than $4000 and your monthly bills such as rent/electric/phone had to total over half your monthly income.

But I was under the impression that programs such as the food stamp program were federal guidelines, not state guidelines.