I destroyed a couple of gliders in the 80's trying to learn by
myself, no club or instructor.  They were balsa kits, something
like the Gentle Lady.  Knew nothing of CG, incidence, or
washout.  Even turned a foam Spirit of 76 into 10 pounds of
5 minute epoxy.

Attempted again in the 90's with a House of Balsa 2x4 and
some lead sled ARF slope machine put out by Global.  Was
doing better, but crashed and repaired every time out.

FINALLY, I was found by John Davies of Torrey Pines Gulls and I
got a DAW TG-3 and bounced my way into flying.  Was having a
great time one day bungee launching and performing loops,
landing with some grace some of the time, when out of the
blue, some guy named Garth (Warner, not Brooks) and Bren
Lugo walked up to me and said "Having fun?  It's about time
you started learning a flight pattern"  A what?

"Looks like you have more washout in one wing than the
other"  I just started, I don't want to quit yet?

"Did you check the wing incidence?"  I don't want to cause
trouble, what did I do wrong this time?

That afternoon, I went to Poway slope with my TG-3 and
discovered combat.  Got a lot of exercise on that slope,
still do.  Very fond memories, not too distant either.

Jerry R. Craft VWP     |\__/_