Ok, great thread and to some degree, educational.  While I have absolutely no
technical background on this subject, I have been the victim of a very
expensive and unavoidable, on my part, "shoot down".  I basically considered it
a "swamping" incident, another term for you experts to butcher.  This happened
at the '05 SWC and cost me a nearly new Icon.  Those of you that have flown
with me know that this plane had been flown to limits of vision many times with
nary a glitch.  I was flying at about 50 feet of altitude along the tree line
at the west end of the field when the plane did an immediate vertical dive into
the ground with no possibility of recovery.  When I walked out to get the
trashed plane I found a gentlemen standing at the base of the trees with his
transmitter on (not visible when the incident happened) doing a  range check on
the plane he had just crashed.  A friend was walking back to the landing area
with it.  He explained as my Icon flew over his head he heard the servos "go
nuts" and it went straight in.  The good news is it didn't hit him, the bad was
a totaled $2000.00 plane!  What do you think experts, is "swamping" a real
phenomenon or did he have a lousy TX??  Plane's gone but I would still be
interested to know what y'all think.
Thanks,
Randy (Supra # 21) McCleave