I've written on this topic before, but I think it might be good to repeat it.

The reason that most 2m gliders "fly like crap" (quoting one CRRC flier),
is that they are WAY too heavy for their span.  Consider a log-log plot
of weight versus span.  The following three points lie roughly
on a straight line:

1.5m, 10 oz
2.0m, 19 oz
3.4m, 60 oz

All three gliders will have good flying characteristics, and are
able to work very light lift.  A 40 oz 2-meter is "off the chart",
and will fly like a lead sled in comparison.  Adding wing area
via lower aspect ratio helps with the minimum turn radius,
but it worsens the max L/D and doesn't help min sink all that much
because of the increased induced drag.

As was recently pointed out, the main problem with a 19 oz 2-meter
is building it strong enough to take a winch sized for 3m+ gliders.
Compounding the problem is that a ~20 oz 2-meter ship wants airfoils
which are more like those on a DLG rather than on the 3m ships.
Such thin airfoils make the structural problem even more severe.

If we were all launching on 12v winches with correspondingly lighter lines,
the light 2m gliders would likely be competitive with the 3m ships,
because the 2m ships would launch higher.  Their maneuverability
and lower speeds on landing is another advantage.