From: Mark Drela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If we were all launching on 12v winches with correspondingly lighter lines,
the light 2m gliders would likely be competitive with the 3m ships,
because the 2m ships would launch higher.  Their maneuverability
and lower speeds on landing is another advantage.

The "LIGHTER LINES" item is a major consideration. A 300 lb test braided nylon
towline is a lot for a 2M wing to haul up.

This beef goes back at least as far as 1974. In the SOAR Nats that year, Mark
Smith requested (but did not get) permission to replace the tow-ring on the
winch line with a lighter aluminum ring when he launched his 555 sq in Windfree
(he won anyway).

I think that having the extra square inches to lift the line is an important
reason for the apparent primacy of the low AR designs in 2M.

I have a 21 oz Allegro that is plenty strong enough for a full pedal launch
with a Real-Balls winch -- you can hold the pedal down without pulsing from
toss to zoom if you want to. What DP sez about sensing light lift is definitely
true; the Allegro is great for that. But launch height is about the same as a
big plane, and it definitely isn't competitive when starting from the same
height.

Maybe Mark is on to a great idea. It would be cool to provide light lines for
those who wanted them and see if things evened out between the two classes.