Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 5:49 PM
Subject: [RCSE] LSF Discussion

Wow, no end in sight here. The SSA (Soaring Society of America) Achievement Program for full size soaring has stood the test of time (60+ years I believe). Why not the LSF Program?  For those Level II’s or III’s needing contest points one week at the Nats will give you all the points you need plus the opportunity to learn from the best.  No matter what compromise someone comes up with it won’t stand the test of time. The reason is for those that want to be the best and be measured by their true skills they will put in the time and effort to become Level V or IV or whatever.  For those that finish the “watered down” version they can never state that they became Level V.  People all over will then be saying that Level V in this program is only as good as Level III in the LSF program or whatever.  It’s pretty amusing to me that those that want the new program aren’t willing to do this task or that.  I think Skip Miller is Level IV.9 because he refuses to go do the 8-hour flight. I don’t think anyone can argue Skip’s credentials he just won’t be Level V. Daryl Perkins, Level I. Joe Wurts, Level ?  Their choice.  Anyone care to argue their skill level? In the end there are lots of ways to be measured but to be in that “Elite” group you had to walk where those who have succeeded before you walked.

Jim McCarthy

Not as good as many, but proud top be Level V