[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

But when it comes to the expensive big stuff there is just one choice, the 12X.

Larry, all due respect one Fan-Boy to another, when JR comes out with a radio that allows full flexibility in the assignment of functions, switches, mixes and conditions, then I might agree with you.

For instance, on helis and power planes I assign the throttle trim to the upper left slider. It has proven for me to be the perfect location. It may not for you, and the beauty of the 14MZ, 12Z, 12FG is that if it isn't, you can do what works best for you. I cannot do that with JR. The same goes for autorotation switches, idle ups, mixing, dual rates, flight modes, etc.

On large planes it is very easy to use all 14 channels. 12 is great, 14 is better. Even given two of those are simple digital on/of channels they work great for retracts, tow release, smoke, engine kill, etc.

When it comes to mixing and conditions I think the 14MZ is the clear winner there as well. The flexibility and power offered by the Futaba radio is unparalleled. Any given pilot may or may not need to use all the power, but it is there for those that want it or need it.

As far as flight modes go the 12X offers 5 per model the Futaba radios have 8. Plus they can be activated by a wider variety of methods, including logical switches, if that is your desire.

When it comes to mixing the 12X has 3 programmed and 5 multi-point. The Futaba has 10 total all of which can be any type desired. Greater choice and flexibility for the pilot.

Not to mention the ability for the Futaba radios to do firmware updates via the Internet.

So while the 12X is perhaps the most capable JR radio to date, and is indeed a very powerful radio in its own right, it is hard to see how it can be claimed to be the best choice out there. The Futaba has greater functionality and superior flexibility.

But keep in mind I get free team shirts so I might be full of crap here.

Bill