Wow, another how you launch discussion! Check out the 18 pages of "stuff" on
RCGroups-Electric Sailplanes if you want to get all the in's and out's of
launching in a TD contest with motors. It is under the "F5J" thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883683.

It is a worthwhile discussion on how to save the Electric Sailplane Nat's by
getting winch launched TD pilots involved in using electric motors to launch
F3J style to a specific altitude and making it a real sailplane contest.

Our club is experimenting with this a little and I hope to organize a demo
sometime during the WL Nat's to generate some interest. So far our club
likes both launch methods but the impromptu MOM contest with electrics is
winning. No winch problems and almost any plane or power system works. I am
still tweaking some of the little differences we will need for F5J but hope
to have a rules set built within the next year and tested over the next
couple of years (maybe at the Nat's like I did with Nostalgia) before
submitting a rules change proposal to AMA.

Jack

--
Jack Iafret
Home and Hobbies