On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Ron Scharck wrote:

> Great article, Tom. The fact of the matter is that whenever that plane
> leaves our hands, regardless of method, it is always a contest...if nothing
> else, between the pilot and Mother Nature.

It's not a contest between the pilot and mother nature any more than a
surfer or a sailor is in contest with mother nature.  For me, it's a
matter of finding a dialogue, finding a way of working with nature.

In my opinion, Nature is the kind of opponent you don't want to tangle
with.

I think it comes down to the nature of the individual: some people are
inspired toward greatness by competition with others and some are inspired
by competition with themselves.

It's inspiring for me to watch videos of other peoples' competitions and
see how great they fly.  But, even if I had a shot at placing in a
contest, I really don't think I'd compete.

I was thinking about this yesterday and I realized that I'd be excited if
someone was competing with one of my planes, though.

-J