I fly gliders because they are challenging, and I fly in contests because
that's the only way I can measure my own performance.

I see the following reasons:

A) If you regularly go on the contest circuit you make a number of friends
that you normally only see at contests.

B) Some people go to contests to win. The trouble is that if that's your
motivation you get awfully frustrated if you don't win. I'm not good enough
(yet) to win ESL contests in Expert class, and I'd have given up long ago if
this were my motivation.

C) Measuring your own performance. As the scorekeeper for the ESL I
introduced an inprovement measure that is calculated each year. I do this
for two reasons: One, it makes it possible to reward pilots for improving
their performance. Two, it is a measure of individual performance. The neat
thing is that the top fliers are the benchmark that individual
performance/improvement is measured against, so they have tiny fluctuations.
The major drawback is that it really highlights the effects of aging on the
older pilots.

Bottom line: There are "better" motivations for going to contests than
winning.

Anker