I was nervous to fly in my first contest, was just to the point where
landing didn't necessarily involve repairing - one of the fliers helping me
(thanks, Dave!) told me that they were just an excuse to fly.......

I still think that holds true, for me at least.  Even the more 'serious'
fliers seem to be there for the fun - the only intense times I witness are
people staring down the tape on landing....

I hope that doesn't mean I'm missing something  ; )

brent