At 11:31 PM 7/18/2002, you wrote:
>Only if you push the elevator in a rather leisurely way.
>The nose-over should be as quick as your guts/reflexes allow.

I can flick it off the line smoother than that and still preserve almost
all my forward acceleration up the line.  The energy release is smooth and
fluid and so is the path of my model, the nose of the model never points
towards the ground.  This launch style is not unique, I see guys doing it
like this all the time, with great success.

I still don't believe there is any gain at pointing your model down the
line and pulling it towards the ground during the zoom of a winch launch.

I could do the maneuver you describe as quick as the next guy, but not only
is it high risk, there is no gain to it.  The transition can't be done
quick enough at the tension I am pulling for any gain.

Such is my experience, we'll just have to respectfully disagree.

I wish we had the opportunity to fly together and explore this on the field
with a strong winch and some stiff moldies, instead of online.

Jim
Downers Grove, IL
Member of the Chicago SOAR club,  AMA 592537    LSF 7560 Level III
ICQ 6997780    R/C Soaring Page at www.jimbacus.net