On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:01:24 +0000, "Bob Johnson" wrote:

> > It could still be a good event if the turnaround was moved back so that a
> > typical modern composite sailplane could not launch high enough to get
> more
> > than about 5 minutes without finding lift.

Maybe I am the only person to remember the old ECSS, East Coast Soaring Society,
but we flew in the late 70's and early 80's 2 or 3 (Smarna, DE. York PA,
Lancaster, PA, Daniel Boone, PA) of the Tria. each season. I felt as a novice
it gave me a fighting chance until the last round - and it was exciting for me.
 HOWEVER, as I recall, the last two or three seasons, we had an awful lot of
ties for the the top positions and that required fly-offs. We always had two or
three on same freq - and the event died out... for that reason. Others felt
that since many made their time, it became a landing event - go figure. (IHMO)
jim ealy
ama life memeber #43

Jim Ealy
Education by Demonstration