Gotta go with Craig here.  Everything I've read says that mass balancing a
control surface decreases the chance of flutter....
http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/hfarticles/howto/v6-1-36.html

  I'm suprised I haven't seen a DS plane with mass balances yet.

At 07:07 AM 2/22/03 -0800,  wrote:
>Craig Toutolmin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>: Lighter surfaces minimize amplitude. Surfaces counterbalanced to the hinge
>: line will minimize the amplitude.  Servos with a higher spring constant
>
>I have to question the statement about counterbalancing.  The
>kind of mass we are concerned with is rotational mass, i.e. moment
>of inertia.  Counterbalancing increases MI, the opposite of what we
>want.
>
>-harold
>
>RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.  Send "subscribe"
and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
MIME turned off.