Full scale...  This brings back a piece of memory some 2 years ago
when I was in a Pitts and Tiger Moth as a passenger. When I asked the
pilot why the control stick didn't return to the center when I
released my hand, he looked at me as if I had asked the dumbest
question in the world ! He then went on explained to me that once the
plane was in the air, the airflow would keep the control surfaces at
the trimmed positions. He was right ! he was particularly right about
the Tiger Moth. I had to exert some real force on the stick before I
could move it . Air flow did keep the stick at the netural position
and I could get my hands off the stick without getting any fluttering.

So.... full scale airplanes, at least some of them, do not have any
expensive digital servos to nail control surfaces in place and yet
they do not have fluttering problems. This had puzzled me for quite I
while before I stopped thinking about it. Anyone has got any idea on
the reason behind ?

Y C Lui

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Bill Conkling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think that we should take lessons from the full scale guys.  Keep
> linkages tight, hinges free, miniumize slop, use light weight
control
> surfaces and make sure they are balanced.
>
> .........bc    ([EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>        http://www.widomaker.com/~conk
> Williamsburg, VA 23185
>

> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Craig Toutolmin wrote:
>
> > I want to run this by everyone for confirmation or correction.
> >
> > I have talked to several engineer types and have been told that
what we are
> > working with is a mass/spring system. The mass is the control
surface and
> > the spring is the give in the servo - assuming the linkage and
hinge are
> > tight, arranged to minimize the effect of gear slop and
positioned to
> > minimize torsional flex. The system will flutter at some
harmonic. Large
> > amplitude is destructive.  A very small amplitude is the goal.
The softer
> > the spring and the heavier the surface (aft of the hinge line)
the larger
> > the amplitude of the harmonic.   Smaller surfaces minimize
amplitude.
> > Lighter surfaces minimize amplitude. Surfaces counterbalanced to
the hinge
> > line will minimize the amplitude.  Servos with a higher spring
constant
> > (firmer) will minimize amplitude.
> >
> > Whatdayathink?
> >
> > Craig Toutolmin
> >

> > RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.
Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in
text only format with MIME turned off.