I started thinking a bit about flying and I have two questions.

First, how far out do folks fly when at the raggedy edge of common sense....or beyond. I personally have seen planes so far out you could not actually see the plane, simply the periodic flash of reflection off the leading edge reflection tape as the plane worked a very high, very far away thermal. How far out is that? 500 yds? 1500 yds? Anyone have hard numbers on how far out that might be?

I presume every group of fliers has one person like this, someone who like to get their moldie way up high and then dive down in a blistering, high speed pass. The plane is moving at very high speed, air screaming as the plane slashes by. How fast are planes like that going? Anyone ever put a radar gun on one? SWAGs welcome, hard numbers preferred.

Thanks,

Bill