The reality of this part of this thread is that some people are not contest
oriented and that is great.  John admits that he only went to contests to
use the equipment.  Our club has 80+ members of which only 20-30 are serious
contest pilots.  That is OK - in fact it's great.  What is not great is when
an admitted non competition pilot trys to tell competition pilots what they
should be doing.  There is room for everyone under the tent.  We fly comps 2
times a month (including HL.  The rest of the days at our great field those
NOT interested in comps can fly 'til their batteries die.  The comp guys are
the ones that maintain the club equipment.  But anyone can use it.  No
problem there.  If you want to fly more in a "semi-competitive" event - then
organize a funfly that YOU would like.  If there are others that feel the
same, they will come.  This is not about exclusion, it's about doing what
floats your boat.

All of our Comps are MOM.  It is the fairest format and as for reading air -
anyone can launch when they see the hawk, or when the club big dog launches
and everyone runs to the winches.  The real air reading is when you do it on
demand.  When you are called up to the winch and your job is to get more air
than the guy next to you.  The strategy is: do you cover to stay close?, or
go stroking out by yourself towards that read you had over the highway to
clobber the rest of the group, "Hero or Zero"?  It doesn't matter what kind
of contest there is - if it's big air - it's a landing contest - ya better
practice landings.

So we do not need to disagree, do what's fun for you.  No one is trying to
tell anyone else what their fun factor is.  This thread is about a contest
format that some people think would be interesting to a large group of
people.  If it is not - it won't fly.  I think it is a good idea.  My
"opinion" is that more rounds is mo' better when I travel to a contest - it
don't matter what the format is.  For example, I go to the SW classic every
year.  As Chuck says - a lot of this event is socializing, where I disagree,
is that there should be little reason not to fly until 4-5pm on Sat instead
of being done around 2 as usual.  With 200+ pilots there is plenty of time
for socializing between rounds and after.  Mo rounds is Mo Better - but
that's just MY opinion.

Jim

Jim Monaco
Rocky Mountain Soaring Association