Now that's what I like about contests.  Interesting things happen!

Rick

At 01:29 AM 9/28/2004 -0400, Phil Barnes wrote:
> [...]

Anker, you must have missed the most interesting thing that happened on
Saturday. It's also the thing that explains what happened to Mark (and maybe
Jose, I'm not sure).

It all began with round six. Mike Lachowski and John Jenks put a minute on
me in that round by flying way off to some thermal that I didn't know about.
That was enough to knock me out of contention for first and also put me in a
mood for shoveling dirt on those who were now in the lead. After that round
Tom Kiesling kindly pointed out that I could probably achieve higher
launches if I stayed on the line a little longer.

That brings us to the seventh and final round with a devilishly dangerous 15
minute task. I stepped up to the winches announcing to all who were within
earshot that they were now dealing with a wounded animal (me) and they
better be careful. With Tom Kiesling's advice in mind I stayed on the winch
line a little longer this time. Now, Tom didn't tell me to dive too deep and
too long on the zoom but my timing was thrown off by doing the launch a
little differently than I had all day, so you guessed it, I snagged the
winch line on the pull up from the zoom. The next thing I saw was the plane
doing a couple fast, violent snap rolls with the winch line somehow attached
to parts unknown of the model. Meanwhile, John Hauf was dutifully pedaling
down the winch line (just like at the NATS, no retrievers, wind the chutes
down to the turnarounds after launch), unaware that anything was amiss. John
wouldn't have been standing on that winch pedal had he known that my model
was still snagged on the line but it turns out that his actions actually
freed my model from the winch line. The cost of freeing my model from the
winch line was the loss of my rudder which was seen to be fluttering to the
ground as the model flew peacefully away.

I had about ten or twenty seconds to curse loudly and bemoan my humiliating
situation before realizing that although I was only at about 150' of
altitude and without a rudder, I was nevertheless in a rather nice thermal.
While the other three members of my flight group took their full launches
and ran off to parts unknown in search of a thermal, I merrily circled away
and climbed ever higher. All of my turns were awkward and uncoordinated but
with all that lift, who cares about coordination? My course of action was
now clear. I would stay with that thermal until the rest of the flight group
was on the ground or I could no longer see the model. For the next six or
seven minutes I flew the model and tracked the thermal as best I could while
attempting to get my timer to understand that I really wanted to know what
the other guys in my flight group were doing. By the time that was all
sorted out and the other guys in the group had landed, my model was but a
tiny speck on the horizon. It was now safe to leave that thermal and return
to the field. The model was so high and so far downwind at that point that
no one else could see it unless I pitched up momentarily to show the bottom
of the model. I finished the 15 minute task and even got some landing
points, all without a rudder.

So that's what happened to Mark (and maybe Jose). He/they had the misfortune
of being in a flight group with a very lucky wounded animal.

Phil