Mike, that seems to be the consensus: leave the pump running. Unfortunately, my pump is a commercial, continuous duty one that I bought from Grainger. I have discovered that it has one flaw: it sometimes cannot start against an ongoing vacuum of about 1/3 atmosphere or so. I have put together a check valve, a T, and a small leak that seems to solve that problem most of the time. After the pump shuts down, the check valve holds the vacuum in the reservoir, lines, and bag while the leak lets the air return to the pump side. Only problem is that the leak I fabricated is, of necessity, quite small and sometimes seals itself. Maybe I will just replace the pump after all of this advice has been digested. Another consensus is that I should throw away all of the rope caulk, and bag sealing gunk and buy another of those plastic sealing strips...which I will order tonight. I appreciate all of the advice from RCSE writers. It is great to be able able to contact so many experienced modelers through this forum, and hear about their system or procedures.
Don't you guys work or something? I cannot keep up answering all of the e-mail that I got on this. BUT ENOUGH, ALREADY! Thanks to you all.
Al
Michael Lachowski wrote:

I leave the Gast pump running.  Not worth the risk.  Especially with an
all carbon, molded wing.  1k carbon and high modulus tow is very
expensive