Jim, Paul, Jack,and Jim:
    Great comments and you all have pretty much sited all the pros and cons
about what we face at each and every contest.  From what i know every one of
the contests we will be flying 280 or 290 line this year that is having MOM
formats, I know STL relined this weekend and all the winches that are coming
are set up with the good stuff (actually one club event ona line I think
eliminates the splices and they are even better then).  Like all have said,
that eliminates nearly all the issues right there.
   But, still what do we do?  I have had folks saying to me that I should
mandate line strength and such, I have taken the attitude in the past that the
clubs run their show and OVSS just uses the scores generated.  I realize that
my free market approach appaers a bit loose, but I still feel that this
approach is best since as has been pointed out that conditions can vary as well
as equipment.  I urge clubs in the direction that I feel is what the customer
wants, i.e. MVSA going MOM format this year with the heavier line than they
have ever used before, there was trepidation, but they will make folks happy
with the choice.
    My answer to what I will do in STL since I am the CD there is to give line
breaks in the first round and to call down the entire flight group, but after
that the show is on and no more chances are available.  That is my answer, and
it can be used as a template, but each club is on their own with council from
the wise among us.
   My 2 cents on the subject...

Marc