From: Marc Gellart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 6:04 PM
To: soaring@airage.com
Subject: [RCSE] OVSS and Line Breaks

Jim, Paul, Jack,and Jim:
    Great comments and you all have pretty much sited all the pros and cons
about what we face at each and every contest.  From what i know every one of
the contests we will be flying 280 or 290 line this year that is having MOM
formats, I know STL relined this weekend and all the winches that are coming
are set up with the good stuff (actually one club event ona line I think
eliminates the splices and they are even better then).  Like all have said,
that eliminates nearly all the issues right there.
   But, still what do we do?  I have had folks saying to me that I should
mandate line strength and such, I have taken the attitude in the past that
the clubs run their show and OVSS just uses the scores generated.  I realize
that my free market approach appaers a bit loose, but I still feel that this
approach is best since as has been pointed out that conditions can vary as
well as equipment.  I urge clubs in the direction that I feel is what the
customer wants, i.e. MVSA going MOM format this year with the heavier line
than they have ever used before, there was trepidation, but they will make
folks happy with the choice.
    My answer to what I will do in STL since I am the CD there is to give
line breaks in the first round and to call down the entire flight group, but
after that the show is on and no more chances are available.  That is my
answer, and it can be used as a template, but each club is on their own with
council from the wise among us.
   My 2 cents on the subject...

Marc
"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
MIME turned off.  Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL
are generally NOT in text format