From: Jeff Steifel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 7:52 PM
To: John
Cc: RCSE
Subject: Re: [RCSE] OVSS and Line Breaks

I don't think a weak link works. You want to keep things moving a link
only serves to slow things down.

I think the FAI solution works great.  Limit the power on the winches.
The resistored winches cut the power down and then everyone is nearly
identical in power.
Now does this solve line breaks... somewhat... it certainly cuts it down
a considerable amount if  you lower the power and level the playing
field. But breaks will still happen especially on windy days.

In the ESL we noticed that new spools from Memphis twine had bad spots
in it. After clearing the breaks, the lines rarely broke. We don't
respool between contests any more, only when the line gets ragged. This
is consistent with my experience with my own clubs and also retriever
lines too.

3 years ago at the nats I hit the pedal and broke the line. before I got
any tension. Fortunately I got another winch. But the no relaunch policy
doesn't allow for bad  retrieves, or a previous bad launch. What about
someone who launches before you and pulls the knot to exterme. or
stresses the ring. The no relaunch doesn't work. BUT neither does
letting the person relaunch with all the markers in the air.
Either let them launch again or relight the group. If you let them
relight it must be point the plane to the ground and land... no dilly
dallying.... anyone caught slowing up for a reading of air should
forfeit their flight.