On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 11:35:36PM -0500, Steve Meyer wrote:

|    Sound like StarWars started early out there and a phase pulse
|    with resulting EMF wave fried the sensitive components.

I don't see how.  If they're the power lines I'm thinking of (to your
right when you're facing away from the road, where you fly?) they're a
long way away -- a quarter mile?

Certainly, the incident could cause a nice surge of RF noise, but I'd
expect it to be over within a second.  And I wouldn't expect it to
damage any R/C receivers more than 100 feet away, though a momentary
glitch during the event wouldn't surprise me.

And if the RF (EMP?) created by the crash really was strong enough to
damage R/C receivers a ways away, I'd hate to see what it could do to
the electric company's equipment, or any subscribers on that line,
since they'd have a much more direct route.

What sounds more likely is that the power lines (or insulators, or
something else) were damaged, and now they're emitting RF noise (as
power lines occasionally do under the right (wrong?) conditions) that
could be causing you problems.  Of course, problems caused by that
wouldn't be restricted to planes that were at the field at the time of
the incident.)

Were the malfunctions just glitches _during_ the crash, or did they
show up after?  What sort of malfunctions are you talking about -- not
working at all, glitching where there was none before, etc. ?

I'd hate to have to do it, but it sounds like you should call the
electric company and let them know what happened, if you haven't done
so already.  They really should at least take a look and make sure no
damage was done, and they should be able to determine if they're
emitting RF noise.  (I guess they might also send you a bill for the
inspection and/or damage -- I'm not sure how that sort of thing works.
I guess the AMA insurance would cover it, however.)

|      Does anyone have knowledge of whether or how such a contact
|      with power lines might generate interference which would cause
|      a receiver some distance away to fail?

I can't think of any common (i.e. happens often) source of a am EMP
stronger than a lightning strike, and I've never heard of a lightning
strike near a house damaging any R/C receivers in it if they weren't
plugged into a charger or something.  (Now, a TV or radio with a large
external antenna, that's a different matter.)

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I bet Einstein turned himself all sorts of colors before he invented