At 08:08 PM 5/26/2005, you wrote:

The way I see it, it's not third-party traffic, it's you being the control
operator. I believe it's perfectly legal so long as you're there watching,
and if someone is flying your plane then you almost certainly will be.
(It IS a handy excuse to say "no you can't fly my plane" though.)

It doesn't matter how you see it. It's how FCC sees it. This question has been ask for over 50 years and the answer has always been that NOBODY can control a model on the ham bands without a valid FCC license. The first time I remember this question ask was in the early 60's. Somebody ask if a modeler could fly on the ham band if a licensed ham turned the transmitter on. The answer was no. It has been ask many times since and I have seen an FCC letter on the subject printed in Model Aviation. Why don't you ask AMA or better yet, ask the FCC.

Chuck Anderson WA4ZFH