would have Monday for 2M, Tues and Wed for Open, Thurs would be RES, Fri
morning hand launch and Friday afternoon NOS.  Events like F3B, F3J,
X-Country and Scale would be on the weekend before or after.

JE

Would probably be the end of NOS. Just not that many flying it. It won't be long and NOS will be 30 year old planes. It is so limited. If they set the category for 20 year old planes (more like it was when it started), it would open up the field for more fliers.

I would come an extra couple days early if they had XC and Scale every year.
It doesn't even have to be a contest, just two days set aside at the beginning of the schedule.

With the introduction of production planes like the Ava and the Topaz, RES
is now the fastest growing segment of plane in this neck of the woods.
Where it used to be just a few people it is now nearly even with the amount of Open class entries. There are several fliers that have won Open contests
with these planes and it isn't a fluke.  Over the last year I have
consistently scored better with my Topaz than with my Open class plane,
primarily because of the ability to just drop it on the spot and have it
stick. They are so light they don't carry too much momentum. They thermal
easier, the handling is excellent, they just don't like as much wind, but
then again, they can successfully be ballasted.

In the big monthly contests SWSA holds, the number of Open class planes is
probably around 30, RES is about 20 and 2M is about 10. It seems completely upside down to me that 2M at the NATS gets 2 days while RES gets 1/2 a day. Additionally, the awards banquet is held before RES and NOS are even flown,
pushing it down further from a competitive event to more of a fun fly
afterthought.

I> --
Erickson Architects
John R. Erickson, AIA