What about moving him to a 'cooler' RES ship, like a Resolution or a
Victory?  Something that looks more like the open class ships, but maybe
is a little more poly-like?

I know I moved to my Open ship about a year early, and I think it cost
me over the long run.  I'd have been better served to hang back a year,
learn to read the air instead of working the new ship.

Plan B might be to get him an Agea or similar 3 piece with with a good
angle on the tip sections....

Lucky kid ; )

Brent