In a message dated 01/23/2006 8:05:09 AM Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I want to cast some lead for ballast into a shape resembling a stick of
butter.   I have the lead and a torch that puts out enough heat to melt the
lead but I don't have a ladle nor a mold.  I prefer not to spend much (if
any) money for these items as it will be a one time project.  Does anyone
know what I can use to melt lead in and how to construct a one time mold
(cheaply)?

Robert Samuels ............... St. Louis
I made some lead "coins" for nose weight just by boring some 1 inch diameter holes into a wooden 2 x 4. The wood ended up being scorched by the torch but it contained the lead in the desired shape. It seems like your shape is simple enough that wood might work for it, if the wood blocks comprising the mold are big enough to resist igniting (or big enough not to mind having parts of their surface momentarily go up in flames before you smother them) as you focus the torch on the lead. You might want to slope the sides somewhat to facilitate removal of the lead, or you could just hack away the wood for a one time shot. I did my work on the garage floor with the door open. No laundry, towels in the current rotation or my wife's wedding dress were used to have on hand for flame smothering duty :)

Bill Wingstedt