On Wednesday 24 Sep 2003 8:02 pm, Bill wrote:
> I object to the very term "means test" as being
> exceptionally demeaning.
----------------

I regret I introduced the term inadvisedly, more in amazement at Douglas
implying it, than in approval: I also hold no brief for such a thing as a
Means Test, even for a Social Pension.

However, we have to confront actual situations, as Keith has wisely said:  >At
some point, however, proponents for the mplementation of Social Credit via
national policy changes will have to confront reality.>

I caused some consternation by saying:
>  > PS. I like the idea of either not paying to those who have no need, or
>  > grabbing it back via the tax system.

I am talking from a real situation. Here in South Africa there is strong
advocacy for a Basic Income Grant payable to all citizens (from taxes, of
course.) For a BIG of a mere R100 per month, projections say it will cost
R44-billion per annum out of a total Fiscal Budget of just over R300-billion,
which seems unaffordable. But R25-billion of the payments could be grabbed
back from all tax payers by a simple addition to their assessment, which
brings the BIG almost within reach without increasing taxes. R100 is only
about 15% of a bread-line income, but many, many people in rural areas make
do with less even than R100 per month.

Now, I would be naive to believe that we are going to change South Africa over
to a Social Credit system overnight: in the meantime families are at
near-starvation levels. The one major thing coming out of Douglas´ proposals
is that value (SC) is available to be moneterized and paid out as debt-free
purchasing power to every citizen. That could fund the BIG without requiring
any major changes to current ´wisdom´, and the advocates of the ´grab-back´
policy could also be happy.

I have read enough about Social Credit to believe that it offers a solution to
many problems arising from the money system and the selfish thinking of those
who control it, but I will be long-gone from this earth before it comes into
play. Why not take one step at a time and allow one victory to open the way
for the next one? Even God has to handle things in that way, so why not we?

Jessop.