On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 08:35:38AM -0400, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
> Wow some awesome responses!!! Thanks guys!
>
> Seems like the consensus says that the 4801 is an obvious choice for me, I
> may focus my sights on that. Still not sure what firewall solution I am
> going to use yet, I'll admit I'm a little Debian biased, but playing with
> BSD may be advantageous as well seeing as how both my desktop and laptop are
> Mac's :)
>
> Thanks to everyone that responded, I'm going to start shopping for a Net4801
> and hope to get one soon. I'll undoubtedly have some more questions as time
> marches on!

I'd recommend the following:

net5501-70
SanDisk 8GB CompactFlash Card (30MB/s)
Atheros Wireless Chip (www.netgate.com)
USB Numeric Display (www.delcom-eng.com)

It's nice having a little extra memory and power, which gives you the
option of running both a web server and mail server on your router,
plus any applications you desire. In addition, kernel modules can be
compiled directly on the device as well - you may end of hacking USB
and or wireless devices.

I run Fedora rawhide with SELinux and Audit. This is more as a
learning tool. Rawhide is the prerelease of Fedora, which an excellent
way to learn and follow some of the latest Linux packages.

For a firewall, I use both iptables and ebtables.

Delcom's USB Numeric display provides nice digital display on what's
going on with the device. It's possible to show net traffic, voltage
and temperature readings.

Linux/BusyBox is a nice option for a production system, if disk
space is a concern.

Regards,

Mike Chirico