On Sun, 24 Aug 2008, Johannes Bauer wrote:
> Poul-Henning Kamp schrieb:
> > Some @(*#$ idiot decided to write his own scraper and generated to
> > many errors that the log partition ran full.
> I don't get it. As English is not my mother tounge, I even ran "scraper"
> through a dictionary. Among the exactly 50 translations of which it can
> mean in German (http://www.dict.cc/?s=scraper) there is not a single one
> which would even remotely make sense. Would you mind explain what
> happened there?

As in a device to remove frost from car windows or peeling paint from
structures.  In this case probably to "remove"  e-mail addresses from mailing
list archive web sites to add to a spammers database.

The phrase scraping the bottom of the barrel also seems to apply well to that
sort of activity.

-Jed