Bill Maas wrote:

> I'm very much in favour of lifting the word Scraper into the official IT
> jargon...

The term has been around for ages.  I think I recall first hearing of it
in the 1980's.

It was definitely big business in the mid-1990's: to put a web interface
on top of old legacy systems, a middle layer mapped out X and Y
coordinates of every character on the terminal and then 'scraped' what
was in the expected spot.

If the old terminal-based interface changed or a mistake was made in the
heuristics, then you got garbage.  As an analogy, think about logging in
without a display (of any kind) and blindly using the shell.  It's that
level of flailing about.

-Lars