On Sat, 2008-08-23 at 20:41 -0700, Daniel E. Hassler wrote:
> The word harvester might be more appropriate. Sadly there are folks out
> there harvesting email addresses and sending SPAM :(

IMHO the word "scraper" does not only sound cooler, but it also has the
appropriate negative ring to it in this case. Harvesting is a friendly
business. Scraping on the the other hand implies considerable effort (as
der Mouse pointed out), usually with no consideration for, or even at
the expense of, others, and ultimately oneself. As in "scraping together
a huge fortune", with Dickens' Scrooge as the prototype "scraper".

Hacking hotmail dot com to obtain a million e-mail addresses at once is
one thing, scouring unassuming mailing lists like this one for a few
hundred e-mail addresses another, and definitely pathetic.

I'm very much in favour of lifting the word Scraper into the official IT
jargon, if it will make "those who scrape" - if only for a moment - a
bit sad about themselves (it probably won't, though, because they're
used to feeling that way).

Bill