> >> Some @(*#$ idiot decided to write his own scraper and generated [so]
> >> many errors that the log partition ran full.
>
> > As English is not my mother tounge, I even ran "scraper" through a
> > dictionary.  [...]
>
> Here, "scraper" means an automated piece of software to gather up
> something from somewhere - usually, email addresses from webpages.
> (Why the name, I'm not sure.  Perhaps derived from "scrape together",
> meaning approximately "gather", but with a connotation of difficulty;
> perhaps derived from the image of scraping something off something
> else, the way you might scrape frost off a window, or dried food off a
> stove.)

        When its relating to webpages, the entire term is "screen scraping".
Your pulling up the web page as if it was a user, and "scraping" the data
you need off it. I do this constantly with programs that go out, pull up
a web page as if it was a user, pluck data depending on formatting or
search strings, and then does other processing locally with it. I've
found it very effective on dating and job websites. ;)

                        Tuc