Even if you could create the Envelope Weights property, painting it doesn't work so great. You can try yourself by copying Envelope_Weights by dragging it to its own cluster while holding down Ctrl, then delete the Envelope operator. The original weights will be deleted but the copied property lives, however, going to the painting panel shows no deformers listed, as if it had lost the connections to them. (Seems the painting tools rely heavily on the Envelope op.)

Don't be afraid of the secondary envelope trick. It's not that bad. I did a muscle system that uses a secondary muted envelope with dummy hidden nulls for deformers for specifying/painting different muscle groups/regions and it worked pretty well for that.

On 4/17/2012 2:04 PM, Bradley Gabe wrote:

Could you be more specific in the type of control you want? Painting? Tweaking values in the weight editor? Using a property
    to store weights?

Yes, all of these. :)

I have an ICE operator that is assigning multiple states to particles based on weight map values. Rather than paint a separate weight map for each state, I'd prefer to be able to have a single map with multiple weight values.

I could use bones and traditional envelope weighting, then mute the envelope and read the weight map in ICE and use the values to assign states. But as I said, that seems hacky, when I'd prefer not to go through an envelope operator.

Vertex painting is not going to suffice because it's a royal PITA to work with compared to envelope weight painting.

    Matt

    *From:*softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
    <mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com>
    [mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
    <mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com>] *On Behalf Of
    *Bradley Gabe
    *Sent:* Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:11 AM
    *To:* softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
    <mailto:softimage@listproc.autodesk.com>
    *Subject:* Envelope Weights Without the Envelope Op?

    I'd like to be able to use the envelope weighting workflow to
    control a custom ICE deformer, rather than an envelope op.

    The hacky way to do this is to mute the envelope operator, but I
    was wondering if anyone has figured out a more direct way to get
    access to the weight painting workflow without applying the
    envelope deformation.

    -B