We had several attempts and requests, feedback loops and so on.
At the end of the day, the cleanest option to not compromise your mesh's
stack and not fuzz up Soft at the same time, sadly, remains a clone of the
mesh with the envelope op and the map on it to do painting work and so on,
and tools to reconnect and freeze/disconnect the ICE attributes that can
emulate it.

Another option is to have an edit mode that will read your custom data or
ICE attrib, and create and mute the op when needed if you want to do a live
edit.

In short: No solid workaround we found to have just the property, but
plenty to go around that will work around it by having tools doing the
dirty work for you to start and close edit sessions.

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!