This is a really interesting topic and I can see both sides of the story.
 If you spend a ton of time and money to develop something, you really
should reap the benefits of your work.  You don't want to invest a fortune
in creating something only to have another company swoop in and build a
competing system using your work.  However I also hate the idea of people
running around with an attack lawyer, basically working the system.

Having been involved in lawsuits in the past I can tell you the entire
system is geared towards settling out of court.  So it's created a system
where you threaten a big company with a huge lawsuit and most of the time
their accountants will calculate whether or not it's cheaper to settle or
to fight -  and usually it's cheaper to just settle.  That then encourages
even more frivolous lawsuits because they know they'll get a settlement.

Personally I would like to see US law changed to match most other countries
and have loser pays laws.  That way, if you have a good reason to sue and a
better than average chance of winning, you'll go forward with it.  But if
you are being frivolous, you'll think twice because if you lose you're the
one paying the legal expenses.  Right now, if you have a lawyer who only
gets paid if you win or get a settlement, they have every incentive to sue
everyone they can find because they know big companies are going to settle
rather than risk a long and expensive trial.

-Paul