i believe it could be for the how hairs are filled between guides...
http://goo.gl/qwnIX  "Methods for defining smooth and continuous coordinate
systems in a volume comprised of a lattice structure of guide columns..."

he patented an essential part which is how we use guide hairs to control
render hairs.