To be honest, I'm happy the Yeti guys are mentioning context and names.
The patent crap too often goes on behind closed courtains, unless it's
Apple and Google battling it out on a global scale, and people don't
realise how hurtful and dated the system is.

The fact that a "best obvious" solution is getting in the way of
development is NOT good for any of us, and that a small developer, because
Joe isn't a large evil corp, decides to attack a much better competitor
that could wipe his only succesful product off the market in the next two
years through patent walling instead of through quality and improvments to
a notoriously flawed and aging product doesn't paint him in a good light.
Is this the kind of small developer you want empowered? I can only speak
for myself, but I'll say no.

There are many patents that are just first come first served deployments of
ideas that had been around, sometimes even implemented, for a long time,
this is on the edge of those cases, if not squarely within the domain.

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!